Finding the right routine is not as simple as paint by numbers, it is constantly changing.
Your body needs to change it up often in order to shock your system and stimulate your metabolism, to get the results you need and want!
This can be as simple as changing up your workout order.
Cardio intervals after weight training, adding a HIIT workout, incorporating effective core exercises, and stretching.
TOP 3 GAME CHANGERS
CARDIO AFTER WEIGHTS
- You can use your glycogen for strength gains while still leaving some left over for cardio.
- Weight lifting first can result in better overall strength.
- Your body generates more Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP) “the way your body stores and uses energy”.
- After a lifting session your glycogen levels will be low and your body will be focused on burning FAT! This is the most ideal and optimal time.
- example: 20 x 20 second sprints on the treadmill / 10 second rest on side panels post workout.
The importance of stretching is so vital and I can not express it enough!
- Your body is made up of Facia, connective tissues beneath your skin that attaches, stabilizes, and separates muscles and other internal organs.
- Best way to describe it is that it is the layer over our muscles and if those muscles are tight, you need to massage and stretch through the facia first.
- Use your foam roller, spend more than just 60 seconds in a supported stretch to allow your facia to relax too.
What is your core?
We all love the look and often aspire to get that six pack. For the record, those bumps you so desire are the least efficient abdominal muscle, called the Rectus Abdominus, that’s sole contraction that bends the upper body forward.
The more important ones to think about are your Transverse Abdominus (TA). It is the most efficient by drawing in action of the bellybutton. The TA wraps around the abdomen horizontally, predominately below the navel. The Obliques Internal/External cross over the front like “X” marks the spot.
It is not unlike the crazy amount of wires behind my TV, where you are constantly trying to figure out which one does what!? The point of understanding which is what being there is NO way to completely isolate one area of your core. They must work together to stabilize your spine and allow you to move throughout your daily life.
Top 3 Exercises:
- Reverse Crunches focused on drawing your pelvis to your lower rib cage
- Windshield wipers – working the oblique “X”
- Single and double leg drops with a neutral spine – the best TA move!
For the record, I am pretty sure it was Jerry Springer who used this phrase, “Final Thoughts”, at the end of each episode. To be fair, it is appropriate when I have possibly overloaded you with information, leaving you with more questions than answers.
I always like to follow the rule SHOW, TELL, DO, another oldie but a goodie. Please do not hesitate to reach out as I am always more than happy to share and help anyway I can! It never hurts to do your own research too. I will be posting videos as well as my favourite Game Changer’s on Instagram and Facebook. Stay tuned for a deeper look into HIIT workouts.
At the end of the day, my goal is to help your live your best life and leave with enough energy for the real fun stuff!