Good vs. Bad Carbs?
Apple vs. Pizza
• lower calories • higher calories
• high fibre • low fibre
• lower sodium • high sugars
• lower cholesterol • high sodium & fat
It comes down to how we metabolize the fuel we feed our bodies. FACT: maintaining a steady consistent blood sugar levels throughout your day will improve blood pressure & cholesterol levels.
Complex carbs can be considered good because the longer series of sugars in its structure takes the body longer to break them down, meaning lower amounts of sugar released at a consistent rate throughout the day.
Simple carbs known as sugar, natural or not, digest the same way. Enzymes in your intestine convert the sugars to glucose which then enters your bloodstream. Metabolizing sugar happens very quickly which will give you a burst of energy. ie: fruit, milk products.
- rice – 1/2 cup cooked = 1 serving of starchy carb AND
- 1 cup of broccoli steamed = 1 serving non starchy carb